Jurnal GICI Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici <p><span class="s1">JOURNAL GICI is a financial and business journal that presents various research results based on both qualitative and quantitative approaches and is published periodically semi-annually (twice a year) in June and December, with certain themes selected according to current issues. hotly discussed in public (top issue). The topics raised revolve around financial and business issues such as Accounting, finance, management, Business Etc</span></p> en-US hersusilo72@gmail.com (Herman Susilo) firmansar@gmail.com (Firman Sari) Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 OJS 3.3.0.11 http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss 60 PENGARUH PRODUK, HARGA DAN KUALITAS PELAYANAN TERHADAP KEPUASAN PELANGGAN JNE AGEN PONDOK GEDE https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/65 <p><em>Competition</em><em> in today's business world is getting fiercer. This is also felt by business people in the field of freight forwarding services. JNE is one of the companies engaged in freight forwarding services. The research method is in the form of data collection using questionnaires, the data analysis model used is multiple linear analysis. Sample selection was carried out by purposive sampling, while the sample amounted to 97 people. Data that have met validity tests, reliability tests, and classical assumption tests are processed to produce regression equations as follows: </em></p> <p><em>Y=</em><em> 24,699 + 0.096X1 + 0.637X2 + 0.263X3</em></p> <p><em>Where</em><em> the customer satisfaction variable (Y), product variable (X1), price variable (X2), and service quality variable (X3). Hypothesis testing using the t test shows that partially the product does not have a significant effect on customer satisfaction JNE Agen Pondok Gede because t calculate (0.849) &lt; ttable (1.660) and the significance value is above 0.05, for the price variable produces tcalculate (8.519) and the service quality variable shows the results of tcalculate analysis (4.779) where ttable (1.660) and the significance value is below 0.05 then partially the two variables have a significant effect on customer satisfaction JNE agent Pondok Gede. Then through the F test, it can be seen that the three independent variables studied, namely product, price and service quality, simultaneously have a significant effect on JNE Agen Pondok Gede customer satisfaction. </em></p> <p><em> </em></p> Herman Susilo Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/65 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH KUALITAS PRODUK, HARGA, PROMOSI DAN LOKASI TERHADAP KEPUTUSAN PEMBELIAN ESKULKUL DI KEDAI ESKULKUL BOCIL, BOGOR https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/66 <p>This study aims to determine the influence of Product Quality, Price, Promotion, and Location have a partial or simultaneous effect on the Purchase Decision of Esckul Bocil. The approach used is quantitative using multiple regression analysis. Based on the results of the analysis, it shows that price and location variables partially have a significant effect on purchasing decisions. Meanwhile, the variables of product quality and promotion partially have a significant effect on the purchase decision of Eskulkul Bocil. Based on Test F with a significance level of 5%, it shows that product quality, price, promotion and location have a simultaneous effect on the purchase decision of Eskulkul Bocil. The coefficient of determination (Adjusted R Square) of 0.406 means that 40.6% of purchasing decisions can be explained by variables of product quality, price, promotion, and location. The remaining 59.4% was explained by other variables that were not included in the research model.</p> Altatit , Inriyani Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/66 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH GOOD CORPORATE GOVERNANCE, CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, DAN KINERJA KEUANGAN TERHADAP NILAI PERUSAHAAN https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/68 <p>The company's goal to improve the welfare of shareholders can be realized by maximizing corporate value which can be influenced by GCG, CSR and financial performance to company value. Company value is an investor's perception of a company, which is often linked to the stock price. High stock prices make the company's value also high. Company value is very important because it can describe the company's performance which will later influence investors towards the company so that it can help make financial decisions in investing funds in the company. In this study corporate governance is proxied into the principles of Corporate Government according to FCGI in the general guidelines of Corporate Governance Indonesia banking (KNKG, 2004), while for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is proxied into Reporting based on the guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). The population in this study is 42 manufacturing companies in the consumer goods industry sector listed on the IDX. The sampling technique used was purposive sampling and a sample of 25 companies was obtained. The analysis technique used is multiple regression analysis. Data for this study was obtained from the company's annual report available on the Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX). The tool used for this study was SPSS 23. The results of this study show that Good Corporate Governance (GCG), Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Financial Performance do not have a significant effect on Company Value. Keywords: Good Corporate Governance, Corporate Social Responsibility, Financial Performance, Corporate Value.</p> Krisna Sudjana, Agustini, Syifa Fatimah Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/68 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH LINGKUNGAN KERJA, MOTIVASI KERJA DAN DISIPLIN KERJA TERHADAP KINERJA KARYAWAN PADA PT. JESSINDO PRAKARSA https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/69 <p>Human resources (HR) play a very dominant role in company activities so that the success or failure of the company in achieving goals depends very much on the ability of HR or employees because a superior company is a company that has good employee performance so that company goals can be achieved. The purpose of this study is to determine and analyze the Effect of Work Environment, Work Motivation and Work Discipline on Employee Performance at PT. Jessindo Prakarsa. The type of research used is quantitative research with research methods in the form of data collection using questionnaires. The data analysis model used is multiple linear regression analysis. Sample selection is done by purposive sampling. The sample amounted to 30 respondents, using multiple linear regression analysis. The results of the regression test showed that 18.7% of employee performance factors could be explained by work environment, work motivation and work discipline while the remaining 81.3% were influenced by other variables that were not included in this study. The results of the F test show that simultaneously the variables of work environment, work motivation and work discipline simultaneously have a positive and significant effect on employee performance. While the results of the t test show that the variables of work motivation and work discipline are persial, these two variables do not have a positive and significant effect on employee performance.</p> Aldi, Irma Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/69 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH KEPRIBADIAN, DISIPLIN DAN MOTIVASI TERHADAP KINERJA KARYAWAN DI SMESCO INDONESIA JAKARTA https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/70 <p><em>The</em><em> development of the era of SMEs in Indonesia is increasing, in addition to getting benefits also to create new jobs. Therefore, there are various ways that business actors, especially the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) industry do to increase revenue turnover. The purpose of this study is to determine and analyze the influence of personality, discipline, and motivation on employee performance at Smesco Indonesia Jakarta This research method is quantitative with the type of research used is survey research. Sample selection is carried out by means of saturated sampling. The sample amounted to 102 respondents, using multiple linear regression analysis. The regression test results showed that 94.9% of performance factors could be explained by personality, discipline and motivation while the remaining 0.51% was explained by other factors not studied in this study. The results of the F test showed that simultaneously the variables personality, discipline and motivation simultaneously had a significant effect on performance. The results of the t test showed that personality and motivation variables had a positive and significant effect, while discipline variables did not have a positive and significant effect on employee performance at Smesco Indonesia Jakarta. </em></p> Fajar Pitaloka, Aprilia Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/70 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH KUALITAS PELAYANAN DAN HARGA TERHADAP KEPUASAN KONSUMEN DI INDOMARET CIGOMBONG SUKABUMI JAWA BARAT https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/71 <p><em>Consumer</em><em> satisfaction is a very important factor that must be considered by companies so that consumers want to come back. Service quality is an important factor that must be considered by companies to get customer satisfaction. Service quality is the key to the success of a company, especially in the retail sector. Good service quality can be a competitive advantage for retail companies. In addition to service quality, price perception is also an important factor that must be considered by companies, especially in the form of retail. Companies must always monitor prices set by competitors, so that the prices set by the</em></p> <p><em>company</em><em> are not too high, so as to create customer satisfaction. The purpose of this study is to determine and analyze the Effect of Service Quality and Price on Consumer Satisfaction in Indomaret Cigombong. The type of research used is explanatory research with research methods in the form of data collection using questionnaires. The data analysis model used is multiple linear regression analysis. Sample selection is done by purposive sampling. The sample amounted to 100 respondents, using multiple linear regression analysis. The results of the Coefficient of Determination test showed that 42.70% of consumer satisfaction factors could be explained by service quality and price while the remaining 57.30% was explained by other factors not studied in this study. While the results of the F test show that simultaneously the variables of service quality and price simultaneously have a positive and significant effect on consumer satisfaction with the results of the analysis, namely the value of Fcalculate (37,814) &gt; Ftable (3,900). The results of the t test show that the service quality variable shows the results of the tcalculate analysis (5.671) and the price variable shows the results of the tcalculate analysis (4.889) where ttable (1.984), then partially the two variables have a positive and significant effect on consumer satisfaction at Indomaret Cigombong. Price is the most dominant variable affecting consumer satisfaction in Indomaret Cigombong, Bogor Regency. </em></p> Gena Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/71 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH KUALITAS PELAYANAN, HARGA DAN PROMOSI TERHADAP KEPUTUSAN PEMAKAIAN JASA TRAVEL UMROH DAN HAJI PT. ALIFAH TOUR CABANG BOGOR https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/72 <p><em>Along</em><em> with the development of the travel business today is getting tighter. This is felt by business people in the field of Umrah and Hajj travel services. PT. Alifah Tour Bogor Branch is one of the companies engaged in Umrah and Hajj travel services. PT. Alifah Tour Bogor Branch is one of the companies engaged in Umrah and Hajj travel services. This study aims to analyze how much influence the quality of service, price and promotion on the decision to use Umrah and Haji travel services of PT. Alifah Tour Bogor Branch. Where the decision variable of service usage (Y), service quality variable (X1), price variable (X2), and promotion (X3). Hypothesis testing using tests shows that partial service quality and price have a significant effect. While the promotion variable does not have a significant effect on the decision to use Alifah Tour Bogor Branch Travel services. Then through test F it can be seen that the three independent variables studied, namely service quality, price and promotion simultaneously have a significant effect on the decision to use Umrah and Hajj travel services of PT. Alifah Tour Bogor Branch. The adjusted R Square figure of 0.556 shows that 55.6% of service usage decision variables are explained and influenced by service quality, price and promotion and the remaining 44.4% is explained and influenced by other variables not explained in this study. Keywords: Service Quality, Price, Promotion, Usage Decision. </em></p> Bakti Toni Endaryono, Christina Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/72 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH KOMPENSASI, MOTIVASI DAN DISIPLIN KERJA TERHADAP KINERJA KARYAWAN PT. ADIRA DINAMIKA MULTI FINANCE https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/73 <p><em>Human</em><em> Resources (HR) is an important asset to support the success of an organization. The importance of human resources needs to be realized by all levels of management in the company. The purpose of this study is to determine and analyze the Effect of Compensation, Motivation and Work Discipline on Employee Performance of PT Adira Dinamika Multi Finance Tbk Bogor Branch 1. The type of research used is quantitative research with a survey method approach in the form of data collection using questionnaires. Sample selection is carried out using saturated sampling techniques. The sample amounted to 50 respondents, using multiple linear regression analysis. The regression test results showed that 71.40% of employee performance factors could be explained by compensation, motivation and work discipline while the remaining 28.60% were explained by other factors not studied in this study. While the results of the F test show that simultaneously the variables of compensation, motivation and work discipline have a significant effect on employee performance. The results of the t test show that the variables of compensation, motivation have a significant effect on the Employee Performance of PT Adira Dinamika Multi Finance Tbk Bogor Branch 1. The work discipline variable does not have a significant effect on the Employee Performance of PT Adira Dinamika Multi Finance Tbk Bogor Branch 1.</em></p> <p><em>&nbsp;</em></p> Mega Indah Edityawati Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/73 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH RASIO KECUKUPAN MODAL, PERTUMBUHAN KREDIT, RASIO NON PERFORMING LOAN TERHADAP NILAI PERUSAHAAN PADA BANK YANG TERDAFTAR DI BURSA EFEK INDONESIA (BEI) TAHUN 2018-2022 https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/74 <p><em>The objective of this study is&nbsp; to examine the effect of Capital Adequacy Ratio, Loan Growth, Non Performing Loan Ratio on Firm Value at Banks listed on the Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX) for the period 2018-2022. The Independent variables of the study consist of Capital Adequacy Ratio, Credit Growth, Non Performing Loan Ratio, while the dependent variable is Firm Value. The results showed that the Capital Adequacy Ratio had an effect on the Firm's Value, while Credit Growth, and the Non Performing Loan Ratio had no effect on the Firm's Value. All variables simultaneously affect the Firm's Value.</em></p> M. Hari Purnomo Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/74 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH BEBAN KERJA, GAYA KEPEMIMPINAN DAN KOMPENSASI MONETER TERHADAP KINERJA KARYAWAN PT BUMI MULIA PERKASA https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/75 <p><em>As</em><em> one of the private companies, PT Bumi Mulia Perkasa burusaha improves the quality of the performance of its employees. The problems are low communication, lack of form of responsibility from employees to workers given by the company, absence of delegation of authority given by the leader to employees so that employees hesitate in making decisions and actions on the work assigned to them, and lack of compensation given by the company to its employees resulting in decreased employee performance. The research method used is quantitative descriptive with the type of research used in the form of data collection using questionnaires. Sample selection is carried out by means of saturated sampling. The sample amounted to 30 respondents, using multiple linear regression analysis. The results of the regression test showed that 53.8% of performance factors could be explained by workload, leadership style and monetary compensation while the remaining 46.2% was explained by other factors not studied in this study. While the results of the F test show that simultaneously the variables workload, leadership style and monetary compensation have a significant effect on performance. The results of the t test showed that leadership style variables and monetary compensation variables had a significant effect on performance, while workload variables did not have a positive and significant effect on performance. </em></p> <p><em>&nbsp;</em></p> Jhonson, Mei Iswandi Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/75 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700 PENGARUH SISTEM PENGGAJIAN, UPAH LEMBUR, DAN INSENTIF FINANSIAL TERHADAP KINERJA KARYAWAN (STUDY KASUS PADA CV. DUA ELANG MAKMUR) https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/76 <p><em>The</em><em> era of globalization has made significant changes, the more developed the times, the more rapid the development of humans who want to go to the modern era and keep up with the times. Human resources (HR) are no exception. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of payroll system, overtime pay and financial incentives on employee performance on CV. Two Prosperous Eagles. The population in this study was employees on CVs. Two Prosperous Eagles with a sample of 40 people. The research method in this research uses Multiple Linear Regression Analysis, The results of the study based on the results of the coefficient of determination test show that the variables of the payroll system, overtime pay and financial incentives contribute 85.4% to affect employee performance on CV. Two Prosperous Eagles and the remaining 14.6% were influenced by other variables that were not studied in this study. Based on the results of the partial hypothesis test that payroll system variables do not affect employee performance, while overtime pay and financial incentive variables have a positive and significant effect on employee performance on CV. Two Prosperous Eagles.</em></p> Israfil Munawarah, Muhamada Arwansyah Copyright (c) 2023 Jurnal Gici Jurnal Keuangan dan Bisnis https://journal.stiegici.ac.id/index.php/jurnal-gici/article/view/76 Fri, 30 Jun 2023 00:00:00 +0700